busuu is the world´s largest social network for learning languages with over 55 million users around the world and acquiring up to 100k new users per day. We offer free and paid-for access to audio-visual language courses in several languages. At the same time, users can improve their language skills directly with other native speakers of our community via an integrated video chat application and peer-to-peer text corrections. The vision of busuu is to enable everyone in the world to learn a new language.
In 2014, busuu was selected by Google as one of the best Android Apps in the world and we have received other prestigious awards such as ‘Best Ed-tech Startup’ in Europe. In addition, we are regularly featured by both Apple and Google.
We recently closed a €6 million Series B fundraise and signed a strategic partnership with McGraw Hill Education in order to work with them on adaptive learning technologies, among other areas.
We are a friendly and fun, experienced international team who come from a variety of backgrounds but who share a passion for tech start-ups and education. Besides the opportunity to impact digital language education, we offer a generous equity scheme, free private healthcare and gym membership. We also provide free breakfast every morning and snacks throughout the day.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a full-time Senior Android Engineer to join our Mobile team to continue the incredible success of our mobile apps, and bring the busuu language learning experience to millions of people – anytime and anywhere.
As a busuu Senior Android Engineer, you will specialise in building elegant products on world-class technologies. We are looking for a person with strong experience in developing for Android. You will join an existing team of developers (Android, iOS, Web), working closely with our product and design teams to build upon our exciting state of the art Android apps.
At busuu things move fast. If you’re competitive, want to work with smart, creative and energetic people and possess the initiative, confidence and good judgment to make independent decisions every day – then you’re probably the perfect addition to our growing team.
Role and Responsibilities:
- As a member of an Agile team, liaise with others team members to define, estimate and develop new features of the app.
- As a member of the Android team, write clean and maintainable code, providing unit tests as much as possible.
- Review other Android devs’ code.
- Work side by side with the product team members (PO and designer) to provide a UI/UX as defined in the specs.
- Collaborate with the QA to fix bugs and maintain the Continuous Integration server.
Skills & Experience:
- Professional Android development experience, with a proven history of shipping Android apps.
- Previous involvement in entire app development lifecycle, from project creation through coding & QA to app store deployment.
- Knowledge in unit testing in Android (Robolectric and Mockito would be perfect).
- Good understanding of Android UI principles. You will be working with a UX team, but your suggestions and design ideas will be appreciated and considered.
- Understanding of web services and REST APIs. You won’t be writing backend code, but you will be working closely with our backend team.
- Deep appreciation of mobile development practices and Android app optimisation.
- Good understanding of Android app architecture and use of design patterns.
- Strong OO & Objective C skills, with an appreciation for pragmatism and simplicity in code.
- An instinct for excellent app design and user experience.
- Enthusiasm for busuu.com as a product and online education in general.
- Love of working in a collaborative team environment and a good sense of humour!
Advantageous: Knowledge of the busuu language 😉
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.busuu.com/jobs?gh_jid=88525 →