Lingvist is building the next generation of language-learning software.
We are currently looking for a linguistic expert to develop English for Japanese language-learning content for Lingvist software in our Tokyo or London office.
Who are we?
Lingvist has already gained international attention for building the next generation of language-learning software. We want to change the world by making it possible to learn a new language in 200 hours. We believe it’s possible to make language learning 10x faster using mathematical and statistical methodology. We have already achieved remarkable traction against this goal.
The Lingvist prototype was created at CERN by one of our co-founders, employing the machine-learning algorithms that were used to discover the Higgs boson. The leader of Skype’s core technology team then joined as co-founder and CTO. We’re scaling quickly to build a world-class company.
Lingvist is a fast-growing, flat, meritocratic company. An alumnus of TechStars London, we have raised a seed round of €1m from Skype founder Jaan Tallinn, TechStars, Smartcap, and Inventure (among others), and have secured an additional €1.6m of EU funding under the Horizon 2020 scheme.
Join Lingvist and help us bring the smartest way to learn a language to the world!
- Create an English language module for Japanese-speaking students
- Edit/translate existing language content from English to Japanese
- Communicate with early users to advise them and get immediate feedback
- Work with the language centre of a major Japanese corporation to build language-learning content for Lingvist
- Prepare new language exercises and activities in Lingvist software
- Synchronise the learning module with TOEIC tests
- Help find relevant educational resources (print publications, listening material, etc.)
- Native Japanese speaker
- Highest level of proficiency in English
- Msc in linguistics
- Desire to perform a wide variety of tasks
- Strong computer literacy (proven experience)
- Enthusiasm for enhancing language-learning methodologies
- Ability to balance between “good enough now” and “perfect too late”
- Strong sense of teamwork with an ability to deliver results with minimal supervision
- Pragmatic approach and a positive ‘can-do’ attitude
- High level of intelligence, creativity, and adaptability
- Honesty and passion for personal improvement and self-development
- Deep understanding of Japanese culture
- Willingness to travel between our Tokyo and London offices
- Previous teaching experience is an advantage
- Opportunity to turn your great ideas into a high-quality, world-changing product
- Open, communicative, and innovative team work environment – we understand the value of work–life balance and flexibility
- Inspiring team events and and lively start-up atmosphere
- Competitive wages
- Travel opportunities
- Opportunity to improve your skill set in the field of personalised online language education
- Opportunity to combine academic knowledge and research experience with Lingvist’s data-driven approach to optimise and personalise the language-learning experience
Exceptional candidates will have any or some of the following qualities:
- Native speaker of both Japanese and English
- Degree in second language acquisition methodology and/or technology-enhanced language learning
- Experience in development of language learning and/or teaching materials
- Experience in running and evaluating user studies, including recruiting users
- Experience in online language education
- Experience in corpus linguistics
- Experience of working in a technical environment with engineering and product teams
If you’re as excited as we are to make the world learn languages in just 200 hours, send your CV and cover letter with the job description in the subject line at email@example.com.