Lingvist is building the next generation of language-learning software.
We’re currently looking for a talented, all-round designer to join our growing team in either London or Tallinn.
Who we are?
Lingvist is building the next generation of language-learning software. We want to change the world by making it possible to learn a new language in 200 hours. It’s possible to make language learning 10x faster using mathematical and statistical methodology. We have already achieved remarkable traction against this goal.
The Lingvist prototype was created at CERN by one of our co-founders, employing the machine-learning algorithms that were used to discover the Higgs boson. The leader of Skype’s core technology team then joined as co-founder and CTO to scale it to millions of users.
Lingvist is a fast-growing, flat, meritocratic company. An alumnus of TechStars London, we have raised a seed round of €1m from Skype founder Jaan Tallinn, TechStars, Smartcap, and Inventure and have secured an additional €1.6m of EU funding under the Horizon 2020 scheme. Join Lingvist and help us bring the smartest way to learn a language to the world!
Our vision is for Lingvist to not only be at the forefront of language-learning technology, but to do so whilst providing gorgeous design and a fantastic user experience. As a designer, your main role will be to work hand-in-hand with our product and development teams to make the Lingvist app amazing, both experientially and aesthetically.
This role is a great opportunity to work towards the creation and continued improvement of an exciting, multi-platform application. It encompasses every facet of the digital design process: from identifying user journeys; through to conceptualisation and visualisation; and on to testing.
At Lingvist, we do a lot of our marketing and branding in-house. So from time-to-time, you will also be called upon to work on some fun campaigns, create crazy merchandise, and help to develop and maintain our identity.
Please note that this role is for a middle-weight designer, however, exceptional junior-level candidates will be considered.
- Brainstorm with our lead-designer and other team members, to come up with amazing ideas.
- Help to identify journeys, scenarios and develop efficient UX visions.
- Visualise concepts and tasks, from basic wire-frames to high-fidelity mock-ups.
- Solving usability issues though testing and research.
- Defining UI visuals and interactions for development.
- Helping towards the achievement of marketing and business goals.
- Degree level education in design or a related area and a passion for the field.
- Experience within a design environment, preferably in a similar role.
- A great understanding of design principles (typography, grids, spacing, etc)
- Mastery of visual design tools (ideally Adobe CS and Sketch)
- Nerdy about UX, UI, IA and tech in general.
- Proficiency in at least one prototyping tool (e.g. Axure, JustInMind, UXpin, )
- An ability to design for a plethora of platforms (iOS, OSX, Android)
- Is motivated, organised and loves being part of a team.
- Has a genuine desire to make the world a better place through design and technology!
- Opportunity to turn your great ideas into a high-quality, world-changing product.
- Open, communicative, and innovative team work environment – we understand the value of work–life balance and flexibility.
- Inspiring team events and lively start-up atmosphere.
- Competitive wages.
- Travel opportunities.
- Opportunity to improve your skill set in the field of personalised online language education.
- Opportunity to combine academic knowledge and research experience with Lingvist’s data-driven approach to optimise and personalise the language-learning experience.
You’ve read this far so you must be keen! Send a CV along with some examples of your work (a pdf or a link to an online portfolio would be awesome) to firstname.lastname@example.org.