As the largest social network for language learning in the world we’ve already had some great success, but there is so much more that we want to build and improve on. We’re looking for smart, agile, independent engineers who can help us take our infrastructure to the next level, enabling our engineers and colleagues to scale and grow as much as our customers need us to.
We use AWS, Linux, Puppet, MySQL, PHP, Docker, Vagrant, nginx, Python, Ruby, solr, and many more. But we’re always open to change and the best tool for the job should be the one we’re using.
Why is a DevOps Engineer at busuu important?
Everything we do is powered by our software, and that software can’t function without rock solid, stable platforms and tooling. Our infrastructure enables our users to learn new languages, and our tools enable our Software Engineers to ship features fast and safely. We want to build on what we have to enable us to ship faster, scale quicker, and serve our expanding, worldwide user base.
What does a DevOps Engineer do at busuu?
As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the whole platform, from performance and monitoring to security and everything in between. You’ll be at the heart of building and maintaining the technical infrastructure we rely on every day, getting the opportunity to architect an infrastructure that already serves 55 Million users and growing. You’ll have the chance to make the tough decisions that we need to make to take us to the next level, choosing the right tools for the job and leading projects to solve real problems for both our users and Engineers.
We like to ship fast, often, and safely, and our Engineers are shipping code daily. But we think we can do a lot better, and you’ll be deeply involved and leading the charge to enhance our existing tooling and helping to enable our Engineers in their jobs every day. You’ll work closely with our Android, iOS and Web teams daily.
We have users throughout the world, and we need to adapt our platform to provide the best performance to all our users across the globe. We operate on AWS in one region, we’ve got some big plans to go multi-region, and you’d be deeply involved in this key project.
What we’re looking for from a DevOps Engineer at busuu!
- Extensive experience in designing Unix/Linux system architecture.
- Extensive experience of Unix/Linux system administration, configuration and automation (Debian/Ubuntu is a plus) including recent experience running high traffic/high volume environments.
- Solid AWS experience including following services: IAM, VPC, Route 53, S3, Cloudfront, RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift, Redis, ElastiCache, EMR, SNS, SQS. Machine Learning is a plus.
- RDBMS administration experience (ideally MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Web technologies and middleware (Apache, nginx, tornado, Solr).
- Sound networking knowledge: VPN technologies, routing technologies, VoIP.
- Ability to analyze network behaviour, system performance and application issues using state of the art tools and logging software.
- Experience with configuration management software (Puppet preferred).
- Experience with virtualization and containerization is a plus (Docker).
- Strong skills in at least one command line scripting/coding language (Python and/or Ruby are a plus).
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty.
- Competitive salary.
- Stock options in a Series B funded company through a tax efficient EMI scheme.
- Bonus Scheme.
- Private healthcare.
- Gym membership.
- Choose your own equipment.
- Free breakfast and snacks.
- Free dinner if you need to stay late.
- Regular company trips (our last was to Madrid) and evenings out in London.
- Friday socialising – we make sure we stop working and spend time together at the end of the week.
busuu is the world´s largest social network for learning languages with over 55 million users around the world and acquiring up to 100k new users per day. We offer free and paid-for access to audio-visual language courses in several languages. At the same time, users can improve their language skills directly with other native speakers of our community via an integrated video chat application and peer-to-peer text corrections. The vision of busuu is to enable everyone in the world to learn a new language.
In 2014, busuu was selected by Google as one of the best Android Apps in the world and we have received other prestigious awards such as ‘Best Ed-tech Startup’ in Europe. In addition, we are regularly featured by both Apple and Google.
We recently closed a €6 million Series B fundraise and signed a strategic partnership with McGraw Hill Education in order to work with them on adaptive learning technologies, among other areas.
We are a friendly and fun, experienced international team who come from a variety of backgrounds but who share a passion for tech start-ups and education. Besides the opportunity to impact digital language education, we offer a generous equity scheme, free private healthcare and gym membership. We also provide free breakfast every morning and snacks throughout the day.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.busuu.com/jobs?gh_jid=88545 →